Since any arbitrary physical parameter can be encoded and visualized as an image, proper digital image processing solutions can be really handful in projects from many domains. Indeed, visual information like images and videos is the most widely used in all businesses, which is no surprise as the human brain instantly understands and interprets it. Basically, image processing can be considered as a type of two-dimensional signal processing applied to image pixels. Let’s see what tasks it can solve.
Most Common Research Areas in Image Processing
Although image processing does not really deal with the understanding of image content (unlike computer vision), it has some magic tricks in its sleeve to impress you. Let’s have a look at the most common digital image processing research areas. They include:
- image enhancement (emphasizing certain features of the image for specific analysis)
- image restoration (reconstructing an image that has been corrupted and retrieving the lost information)
- Image inpainting (replacing deteriorated parts and gaps filling)
- image segmentation (breaking the image down into regions) and image classification (automatic assigning categories to the visual content)
- image-based steganography (hiding different types of information like text, audio, or image into other images)
- image compression (reducing the size of the image for its storage or transmission without unacceptable degrading of its quality)
- image decomposition (building alternative image representations to simplify the information extraction)
- image filtering (noise suppression)
- image editing (modification of image and its regions)
Image Processing Solutions at It-Jim
Over the years, developers at It-Jim have implemented numerous image processing algorithms for both research projects and commercial purposes. Whether it’s a web browser, mobile app, or embedded vision modules like NVIDIA’s Jetson family, we can deploy image processing solutions on all popular platforms.
We always work with state-of-the-art algorithms and use the full spectrum of modern tools and frameworks for efficient image and video analysis. The pool of techniques we use to build various image processing solutions includes but is not limited to:
- Deblurring, superresolution, contrast adjustment, autofocusing, histogram equalization, filtering and noise suppression for image enhancement;
- Gabor filters, wavelets, spectral analysis, PCA, ICA for image decomposition;
- Detection of edges, lines, corners, and keypoints for feature extraction;
- Object and texture segmentation, pattern detection, adaptive filtering, morphological operations for image analysis;
- Superpixels, ridge detection, clustering, background subtraction for image segmentation;
- Interpolation, gaps filling, restoration for image inpainting;
- Multispectral imaging, burst image denoising, multi-frame noise reduction, HDR for image fusion;
- Lossy and lossless compression, quantization, perceptual quality analysis, image-based steganography for image compression and transcoding;
- Transcoding, compression, object tracking, action recognition for video analysis;
- Simulation of visual data, augmentation for deep learning algorithms for image generation and augmentation.
We always provide customized algorithms based on business requirements. Our expertise in image understanding helps to optimize code for real-time applications.
Contact Us for Image Processing Research
Are you looking for digital image processing solutions? It-Jim’s team provides consulting and R&D services for any image and video analysis problems. Leave your message below and we will send you our image processing research proposal.